Thursday, January 18, 2018

OFFERING

OFFERING, REFUSING AND ACCEPTING


OFFER means someone gives somethings physical or abstract to someone else which can be taken as a gift or a trade.
OFFER can be in terms of food, money, solutions, friendship or a bargain.
OFFER can mean to give help and it can be taken or refused.


1. OFFERING THINGS TO SOMEONE


 Offering things is important in English because any time we want to be polite host at your home or to be polite friend at work etc. We can use the phrases bellow which is about how to accept offers graciously if we want to treat our guests or friends generously.

Here some of the most important phrases to offer something.
Formal
1. Can I get yo some...to...?
2. Would you like some ....to....?
3. Would you like some... ?
4. Would you like to ......... with me >
5.  Could/May I offer you some... ?
6. Would you like me to get you some .... ?
7. Would you care some.... ?
8. Should I get you some..... ?

 Informal
1. Are you up for some .... ?
2. What do you say about some....?
3. How about some.... ?
4. What about some ... ?


2. ACCEPTING OFFER



    Accepting offers is as important as we offer something. We have to make sure to thank our host or friend to show our politeness.
The following phrases are commonly used when accepting an offer

Formal
1. Thank you
2. Thanks a lot.
3. Many  thanks
4.  Thank you, I would.
5. Yes, please.
6. Yes, of course
7. That would be very nice
8. That would be marvelous. 
9. I'd like it very much.
10. Oh yes, I'd love to.
11. Oh, thanks. Yes, please
12. I appreciate that.

Informal
1. Hey, thanks.
2. Sure.
3. That sounds nice.
4. That's very kind of you

Example of formal  dialogue
a.  Chuck     :  Can I get you something to drink ?
     James     :  Yes, that would be nice., thank you.

b.  Sue         :  May I offer you some tea ?
     Lusy       :  Thank you 


Example of informal dialogue
a.  John    :  Are you up for some dinner ?
     Mary   :  Hey,  thanks. What's on the menu ?

b.  Lee      :  What about something to drink ?
     Ted      :  Sure, do you have any coffee ?


3. REFUSING OFFER


If yo don't want to accept an offer, be sure to refuse politely. Offering an excuse is also a good ideà in order not to offend you kind host.

The following phrases are refusing an offer

Politely refusing
1. No, thanks
2. No, I really won't, thank you.
3. Not for me, thank
4. No, thanks. I'm not hungry,
5. Thank you, but I'm on a diet.
6.  That's very kind. Unfortunately, I'd like to but......
7. That's very kind of you but I can do it myself. Thanks anyway.
8. I appreciate that but I can do it myself.
9. That would be marvelous but I can do it myself
10 thank you for your kindness but I can do it myself
11. Please don't bother yourself
12. I'm sorry
13. I'm sorry I can't. I have to.....
14. Oh I'd love to, but I don;t.

Example
a. Leo    :  Would you like some cookies ? (formal)
    Ana   :  Thank you, but I'm on a diet.

b. Fox    :  How about a cup of tea ?  (informal)
    Joy     :  that's very kind.. Unfortunately I'd like to, but I I don't drink tea now.

4. OFFERING HELP


Here are the phrases of offering help :
1. Can/May I help you ?
2. What can I do for you ?
3. Do you want me to joint us ?
4. Would you like me to ....?
5. Le me....
6. I'll ..... if you like
7.  I'll be happy  to .... if you'd like.
8. I'd be glad to ...... if you like.
9. Would you like.....?
10. Would you like me to .... ?
11. Shall I ....?


5. OFFERING TO FRIENDS


Here are some phrases of offering to friends :
1. Want some .....?                      6. Would you like to have .... ?
2.  Have some..... ?                     7. Why don't you have some .... ?
3.  Chocolate ?                            8. What can I get for you ?
4.  Glass of lemonade ?
5.  Grab some for yourself !    


6. EXAMPLES OF CONVERSATION

A: I was wondering if you need any help on your new house.

B: Sure! That would be great! Are you good at interior?

A: I would like to help you to create a beautiful interior.

B: Great! We are going to be working in teams. Are you OK          
     working with others?

A: Yes, I like working like that.

B: We will begin next Monday. Would you be available then?

A: Yes, I can be there.

B: Well, if you could send me the example of interior ?

A: I will send it to you.

B: Well then, thanks for your help. Have a great day!