Thursday, February 8, 2018

REQUEST

REQUEST FOR SOMETHING OR TO DO SOMETHING, RESPONSE : ACCEPT AND REFUSE


REQUEST  is a daily expression used  to ask someone for something or ask someone  to do  something.

there are four subtopics of REQUEST to discuss : 1) asking someone for something,  2) asking someone to do something, 3) accepting a request, and 4) refusing a request. 



A. ASKING FOR SOMETHING


There are different ways of asking for something: a polite way, and an direct way. 

a, Polite way :
    1. Can I .....
         -  Can I borrow your pen, please ?
         -  Can I have the salt ?
         -  Can't  I sit beside you ? 

    2.  May I ....
         -  May I borrow your pen, please   (more formal)    

    5.    Would you mind ....... ?
           Would you mind if I borrow your dictionary ?

b. Direct way
    1. need     It is very direct and is usually used to urgent request.
        - I need a doctor
        - O meed the fire extinguisher. Fast !

    2.  I want  is very direct and can sound impolite. We don't 
         normally use it to make request unless we want to very direct.
       -  I want to speak to the manager right now. I am not 
          leaving here until I get my money back ! 


B. ASKING SOMEONE TO DO SOMETHING

      There are some ways to asking someone to do something in a polite way and indirect way. We often use please to make our request more polite.

 a. Polite way

     1.  Can you .....
          -  Can you give me the book ?

     2. Could you ..., . please  
        - Could you call a taxi for me, please ?

     3. Would you...., please
          - Would you ask Mr. Black whether he hes got his lunch or 
             not, please ?

     4. Would you mind...., please
         -  Would you mind taking my bag to my room, please ?
         -  Would you mind repairing my laptop ?

     5.  Do you think you could..... ?
          -  Do you think you could come ten minutes  earlier 
              tomorrow before the class ?
          -  Do you think you could take me to the market ?

     6.  I wonder
          -  I wonder if you could write me a proposal ?

     7.  We need is often used to work contexts by a boss or manager 
          to ask for something to be done in a polite way.
          -  We need  to email the contract to Peter immediately.
          -  we need someone to go the the meeting in Paris on 
             Wednesday, Bill l can't go. 

  b. More informal

      We sometimes use can you and will you to make request but 
      they are more informal.
      -  Mum, can you wake me at seven o'clock ?
      -  Will you phone me an hour before the meeting ?

  2.  you wouldn't ..... would you or You couldn't  ..... could you ? 
       These expressions are used when we are not sure if someone 
        will be able to do what we ask.
       - You wouldn't repair my laptop, would you ?
       - You couldn't stop at this moment, could you ? 

  8,   I would be grateful if you could ....
        It is used in formal letters or formal emails
        -  I would be grateful if you could send me more information 
           about this case ?

C. RESPOND TO ACCEPT A REQUEST


    1. yes
    2. Ok
    3. Sure
    4.  all right
    5.  Certainly
    6.  It's a pleaasure
    7.  My pleasure sir. 

D. RESPOND TO REFUSE A REQUEST



    1. I'm afraid, I ...... (give your reason)
   2.  I'd like to, but .....  (give you reason)
   3.  I'm sorry, I can't 

E. EXAMPLES OF DIALOGUE

Dialogue 1
 Sales        :  What I can do for you sire ?
Customer  :  I'm looking for a pair of shoes.  would you mind take me some ?
Sales         :  Yes, please wait a minute, Sir. I will take them for you. 
Customer  :  OK, thank you. But could you turn on the air conditioner please? I feel so hot.
Sales         :  My pleasure sir.  
Dialogue 2
Susan       :  Hi  Lusi. You look so busy. What are you doing ?
Lusi          :  Oh, Hi Susan. I'm preparing my birthday party.  
                     Can you help me ?
Susan       :  Oh it sounds great!  Sure I can help you   What 
                      can I do for you ?
Lusi          :  Get some balloons  and some colorful lights !
Susan       :  Yes of course.
Lusi          :  Ummm Susan, Could you help me to set the table.
Susan       :   Sure. 

dialogie 3
Jame        ;  Hello, Ricky, What are you doing ?
Ricky        :  I am repairing my computer. Could you help me ?
Jame        :  I. d like to but I should finish my paper first. I 
                      will do your request after after it. I'm sorry.
Ricky       :  Never mind, Thanks anyway.